The holidays are officially here and it’s time to start thinking about gifts and shopping for your loved ones. As your life stylist, I’m here to help you get organized. Let’s do this!
- Make a list of everyone you’d like to give a gift to so you don’t forget anyone.
- Ask family members if they have any special ideas.
- Ask family and friends for color preferences, shoe sizes, pant sizes, etc. Tip: keep these for next year so you don’t have to ask again.
- Create a theme per person and organize gift giving around that theme. For example, if your dad likes to play golf, ummm…golf bag, golf socks, golf glove. You know the rest. So easy and anyone love that gift!
- Bake breads and cookies ahead of time, freeze them so all you have to do is defrost, package and deliver! I have a great, "moist" banana bread recipe for you.
- Purchase gift baskets, bags, craft paper, ribbon, tape (lots of it!), gift cards and wrapping paper NOW so you’re not scrambling for it at the last minute.
- Start your shopping early so you can enjoy the holidays in full force.
- Remember stockings if you celebrate Christmas and fill them with gift cards, snacks and candy. Maybe include a very special gift perfectly wrapped in that stocking, too! If you need help wrapping gifts, Just Ask!
- If you’ll be having family over or doing a Zoom celebration, a fun gift idea is matching PJ sets for everyone. Make sure to share pics! Ha!
- Not all gifts have to be purchased. You can also do acts of kindness like cleaning your parent’s garage or planting flowers in your neighbor’s garden. Or, choose a homeless shelter and donate food, toys and housewares to those who are in need.
For any holiday that you celebrate, organize early so that you can embrace the moment with your loved ones instead of running around trying to find that perfect gift. Because a perfect gift doesn’t really exist — celebrations are truly about bringing joy into other people’s lives. Remember to simply love the ones you’re with because life is short and we can’t predict tomorrow.